Session 1 at BlogHer Business in New York this morning (man, an 8:30 start is rough when your body tells you it is really 5:30) is “The State of the Social Media World.” Elisa, Jory and Lisa of BlogHer kicked things off and then ran through a new survey of the blogosphere. Here are my big takeaways:
* 36 million women are in the blogosphere as readers or commenters
* 15 million women are publishing blogs
* the third most common reason for a blogger to stop publishing a blog (after lack of interest or time) is dissatisifaction with blogging tools
* although the media tells us that only young people are logging in significant numbers, it’s actually GenX (21 to 47, I think) that are really most active with blogs
* there are a lot of more men at this BlogHer event than the last one I went to
They’ve promised to post the survey presentation today, so when I know where you can get more information, I’ll update this post.
Hey, and if you’re here, leave me a comment so I know to look for you!